REV 31 OCT 2015 jlb
The Lyson 230P 20 frame radial extractor is the premium version of the popular Lyson 216 extractor. Made entirely of stainless steel, including stainless legs and hinges, this extractor is made for a lifetime of extracting and includes a five year warranty. Extra-thick Plexiglas lids allow operator to monitor extraction without stopping the machine. A lid switch automatically stops the extractor when the lid is opened. The 230P comes standard with a 120V power supply. A 350 watt (~1/2 HP) DC motor drives the center shaft with a belt. 12V DC power from a car battery is also possible – DO NOT USE A RECTIFIER – BATTERY ONLY!
The shaft is mounted on sealed ball bearings top and bottom. The bottom of the extractor is conically shaped for honey draining. Honey is drained through a welded stainless steel 1 ¼ inch gate valve with o-ring seal. PWM (Pulse Width Modulation) Motor with Display: A variable speed DC motor is powered by an adjustable controller with digital indication of motor speed. Speed is adjusted up and down through a keypad. The motor speed is controlled by pulse width modulation (PWM), which switches power on and off as needed instead of dissipating (i.e. wasting) power through a rheostat or resistor. The result is very efficient, low power extractor operation with excellent control. Includes a standard 110V 20 amp grounded power cord. Note: during operation this type of speed control emits a high pitched tone. This is normal and is reduced as speed is increased.
Other key features include: Braking system engages when 1) Stop button is pushed; 2) Emergency button is pushed; 3) Cover is lifted. Precise configuration of acceleration and speed. The motor is only supplied with as much power as needed. Electronic anti-overload protection Auto power OFF. Motor controller automatically switches off after 15 minutes of inactivity. Pulse Width Modulation (PWM) motor control provides high efficiency with low consumption of electricity. The cover is made from clear acrylic to allow easy observation of honey extraction. Can hold 4-8 deep frames (9 1/8"), 20 medium frames (6 ¼"), or 20 shallow frames (5 3/8"). Dimensions: 24" Diameter; 39" Tall, Weight 66 lbs. Includes a 5 year warranty. As an added bonus, this extractor can also be powered by a 12V battery for use in a building that does not have mains power available.
Moving locations: This extractor weighs 66 lbs. Two persons should be used to move the extractor because of the projecting legs, speed controller and drain valve. Carry and load the extractor to protect the speed controller during transit! BCBA Lyson 230P variable speed, radial extractor operating instructions 2015
HONEY EXTRACTOR OPERATION
Before using the machine, read this user's manual and follow the instructions contained therein. The manufacturer cannot be held responsible for damage caused by improper use or inappropriate handling.
12 V Power supply honey extractor must not be connected via rectifier as it damages the controller.
This type of damage is not covered by manufacturer's warranty.
Use only "Lyson" brand power supply or battery. Other types are not recommended.
• Electrical Safety
1. Electric installation needs to be equipped with residual current device (GFCI) and needs to be designed to trip on a leakage current of 30 mA. Overcurrent protection needs to be checked periodically.
2. If the power cord is damaged and needs to be exchanged it has to be done through our distribution point or by authorized point of repair in order to avoid danger. The honey extractor cannot be used if the power cord is damaged.
3. Before turning the device on, make sure that the programmer is switched off.
4. Make sure that the power supply is in line with the honey extractor power supply
5. Take extra care whilst plugging a power cord. Hands have to be dry. Place on a dry surface
6. The EMERGENCY STOP button should be switched off when starting. (the button needs to pop UP when switched off)
Pressing the EMERGENCY button results in the immediate stop of rotation.
7. Keep the honey extractor lid closed during rotation. Opening the lid whilst spinning is strictly forbidden and should immediately stop rotation. If rotation does not stop with lid lifted, the safety switch of the lid has failed and must be repaired before proceeding.
8. Honey extractor must not be moved during the spinning process.
9. Protect the motor and steering against moisture (also during storage).
10. Do not pull on the power cord, keep the power cord away from heat sources, sharp edges and keep it in good condition.
1. This device is not designed to be used by persons (including children) with limited physical, sensual or psychological abilities or by persons who do not have experience or knowledge of the device unless it is done under supervision and according to the user manual passed by persons responsible for their safety. Keep away from children.
2. In case of device damage the repair needs to be carried out by the authorized point in order to avoid danger.
3. It is not allowed to carry out any maintenance works when the honey extractor is in use.
4. All casings need to be firmly attached to the device during work.
5. In case of any potential danger press the STOP button immediately. The honey extractor can be restarted once the danger has been eliminated.
6. For indoor use only! The device is not designed to be used outdoors.
7. Fan belt should remain loose (not over tightened, ~¼" deflection). It must not be strained. BCBA Lyson 230P variable speed, radial extractor operating instructions 2015
8. The device should not be switched on and be stored in the temperature below 0º C. Honey extractor should not be switched on when the temperature is below 5º C. Before switching the honey extractor on, in case when it was moved from the place with lower temperature to the place with higher temperature, wait until the temperature has balanced.
Repairing the device whilst in operation is STRICTLY FORBIDDEN
Detaching the covers during use FORBIDDEN! Work Place Working area should be kept clean and tidy the proper lighting should be provided.
Once honey extracting has finished, wash the honey extractor and dry it thoroughly. Before every season the technical check-up needs to be performed. If any fault found, contact the appropriate provider.
Working area should be kept clean and tidy. The proper lighting should be provided.
HONEY EXTRACTOR USER'S MANUAL
1. Place the honey extractor in the designated place.
2. Fix the honey extractor to the surface in order to avoid unnecessary movement.
1. Honey extractor is designed to extract honey from honey frames.
2. Before using, honey extractor should be washed carefully with hot water and small amount of detergents (allowed for use in food industry) or by use of a pressure washer. (see BCBA Lyson 230P variable speed, radial extractor operating instructions 2015
3. Frames arrangement: Place the honey frames (prepared beforehand) in the basket of the honey extractor paying special attention to their correct arrangement. Honey extractor should be selected accordingly to the frame type:
• In radial honey extractor – top bars of frames should rest on the upper and lower basket rods;
Failing that (frame bars too short or long) may result in extractor or/and frame damage.
Frames must be arranged with the top bar facing out toward the drum as shown on the Fig. 2
Fig. 1 Correct frame arrangement in the radial basket honey extractors
Fig. 2 Correct frames arrangement in the cassette basket
Improper frame arrangement may cause damages not covered by warranty!
4. Before commencing work:
• Make certain the 1-1/4" honey drain valve is open so honey can drain to a large enough container below the open valve. Pooling honey in the bottom of the extractor can impede the rotation and damage the extractor!
• Only load one size frames in each extracting load. Processing mixed frame sizes leads to poor balance and extraction.
• make sure that frames are correctly arranged in the basket of the honey extractor to avoid damage. (see point 5 – honey extractor user manual)
• To the extent possible, balance the load by placing frames of equal weight in exactly opposing basket positions.
• check if the emergency stop button is not pressed
• insert the plug into the socket, followed by turning the knob on the control panel from position ''0'' to position ''1''. Then proceed to honey extractor powering according to the honey extractor controller user manual –
• Make sure the power selector switch is set to appropriate power source (110 VAC or 12 VDC), and the Emergency button needs to be in OFF position.
5. First phase of the spinning should be performed slowly, in order to avoid possible breaking of honeycombs. Special attention should be paid to so called ''young honey frames'' if using natural wax comb.
6. Spinning basket should not be blocked by the honey accumulated in the drum. If that happens, stop the honey extractor in order to avoid its damage. Once honey has dripped down to a container, the spinning can be restarted.
7. Place the honey containers under the drain valve.
8. During the spinning the drain valves should be left open so that the extracted honey can flow freely.
Warning!!! Frames can only be rearranged when the basket has fully stopped!
Honey Extractor Maintenance
Unplug the extractor from the power source prior to commencing any maintenance work.
After the honey extracting has finished, honey extractor should be washed carefully with hot water and small amount of detergents (allowed for use in food industry) or by use of a pressure washer. During the duration of washing pay special care not to wet the motor and the controller (they may be covered with a water-proof cloth during washing). Whilst washing, make sure not to wet the bearings which are located under the drum. To avoid wetting the bearings, cover the slot inside the drum where the BCBA
axis of the basket is located. Once completed, rinse the honey extractor with clean water and dry it thoroughly.
The device needs to be utilized in the point designed for that purpose. The consumer has the right to return the used equipment to the network of electrical distributors, at least free of charge and directly, if the device returned is of proper type and performs the same function as the newly purchased equipment.
The controller is equipped with a 0/I button which is used to turn the extractor on/off, as well as EMERGENCY switch to immediately stop the spinning process and fuses located opposite the O/I switch
5A, 15A fuses (side panel) protect the controller and motor respectively.
• If a fuse fails, it is important that you find and correct the condition that cause the fuse failure.
Control Panel is equipped with navigation buttons "PLUS", „MINUS" and the "ON/OFF" button.
1. 0/1 on/off function – when switched to the on position the LCD screen will cycle through self-diagnostics ending in the display of LYSON.
2. Pressing the + button increases motor speed. Note that on the first press of the + button, the motor with start with more force than is needed and quickly reduce to normal speed of approximately 40 rpm at speed setting 1.
3. Pressing additional times increases rpms (60 rpm at setting
2) until approximately 400 rpms at setting of 10.
4. It is important to gradually increase speed. Operating at a setting of 1 or 2 for 2 minutes before increasing to 3 or 4 will allow the extractor to "unload" a significant honey weight which results in more efficient operation and longer motor life.
5. Typical extraction sessions seldom require speeds above 50 or 70% of maximum.
6. Remember: Accelerating too quickly can result in poor extraction, comb damage and excess wear of the extractor. It is best to allow the extractor to run a few minutes at each speed before increasing.
7. After 10 minutes the extractor will shut off automatically.